Sandra Indig

Save The Earth

Artists respond to the climate crisis



Sandra Indig

Aviva’s Meadow, acrylic, 26”x20,” 1995

"Aviva’s Meadow,” acrylic, archival paper, 23”X 29” is my response to the global climate crisis as well as a memorial to a beloved and enormously talented person I was privileged to know.

I imagined the lowest level as an environment in which her life grew much as seeds do from within the earth. The process of forming and expanding in a predominantly green and then in varied blue spaces suggest to me a celebration of life and of life returning to a now, threated earth. The uppermost section is of glacial forms rising above the sea.

This painting metaphorically addresses both my deep personal wish for all of us to survive on this planet and my agonizing fear that we will fail to save our gift of life.

We need nature to survive. We need to come together to restore the ecosystem. We must face facts and reconcile those with reality of what, where, and when it is possible to begin to heal the earth’s climate.

When New York first shut down in March, I heard birds, I could breathe clear air, I could rest in the silence. It seemed that the earth was resting and healing and that I was literally healing as well. The greens and blues in Aviva’s Meadow speak, perhaps in whispers, to this healing silence while the comforting blue sky of my imaginary meadow speak of my hope and trust that our climate will be restored."


Sandra Indig

Comments